VOTE TUESDAY: Lyndhurst still waiting for action after 2016 referendum OK for a School Plan the state called a “disaster”

 -  -  52


In 2016, a $19.8 million School Plan was approved by voters to upgrade LHS & Lyndhurst Elementary Schools

by Kaitlyn Kanzler, NorthJersey Nov. 14, 2016

Voters approved the $19.8 million referendum to renovate and expand the Lyndhurst High School and five elementary schools on Election Day.

The district had been pushing hard for the yes vote that would bring wide, sweeping changes to the district. The plans call for additions to be added to the five elementary schools and for renovations inside the high school.

The referendum passed with 4,554 votes. 2,009 voted against the referendum.

Roosevelt School [was to] receive a 17,311 square-foot addition, housing Pre-K through sixth grade. The current structure [was to] remain intact with a gym and a new lunch room/maker space, a warming kitchen, 11 new classrooms and a new elevator to be added.

Washington School [was to] receive 4,434 square-foot addition and will house Pre-K through sixth grade. It [was to] keep its existing structure with its gym and stage. A new lunch room/maker space, new warming kitchen and a new elevator for accessibility [was to] be added.

Columbus School [was to] receive a 14,374 square foot addition, housing Pre-K through sixth grade. It [was to] maintain its existing structure. Five new classrooms, a new lunch room, a new warming kitchen, a new gym/maker space and a new elevator [were to] be added.

Franklin School [was to] receive a 6,738 square foot addition and house kindergarten through sixth grade. Its existing structure with the gym and the stage on the third floor [was to] remain. A new lunch room/maker space, a new warming kitchen and an elevator that will provide accessibility to the first and second floors [were to] be added.

Jefferson School [was to] encompass the Memorial Campus in an effort to extend the campus life, which has been deemed by the state to be in excellent condition, [former Superintendent] DeMarco said. Kindergarten through second grade [was to] be at Memorial Campus. Jefferson School [was to] be home to grades three through eight. A maker space [was to] be added to Jefferson School. A flagged pathway [was to] connect the school and Memorial Campus.

There [were to] be nine sections of Kindergarten through sixth-grade, four sections of self-contained special education kindergarten through sixth-grade, three Pre-K-4 classes, three Pre-K Disabled classes, two English as a Second Language instructional classrooms as well as two pull out resource classrooms in each of the five schools.

All the high school renovations [were to] be interior so as not to impose on outdoor facilities. Classrooms [were to] be reconfigured, several walls [were to] be removed and the building [was to] have a departmentalized design. Additionally, the school [was to] receive an air cooling system, allowing it to be utilized more in summer.

READ THE ENTIRE 2016 STORY ABOVE HERE:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/11/14/referendum-lyndhurst-school-renovation-expansion-passes/93805464/

In 2019, the State Department of Education monitor called Lyndhurst’s School Plan a ‘disaster’ because the true plan cost was $24.5 million, not $19.8 million, as sold

State Monitor Thomas Egan

by Nicholas Katzban, North Jersey Record Jan. 17, 2019

LYNDHURST — A monitor with the state Education Department offered a sobering analysis to township commissioners Thursday. A 2016 school referendum, he said, was not only mismanaged, but sold voters on a project cost that was millions less than former school officials knew to expect.

“I found a disaster,” said Tom Egan, a monitor sent to Lyndhurst by the state Department of Education to examine the cause of a near $5 million deficit.

While the 2016 referendum, which issued $19.8 million in bonds to finance upgrades to the high school and four elementary schools, plays no part in the deficit, Egan said he could not help but take note of the glaring oversight in its projections.

He and architect Joe DiCara told the commission at least $24.5 million would be needed to complete the project based on the plans that were sent to the DOE. Egan called the project “overcreated and underfunded.”

READ THE ENTIRE 2019 STORY ABOVE HERE:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/lyndhurst/2019/01/17/state-tells-lyndhurst-nj-school-plan-botched-underfunded/2605046002/

Now, the Lyndhurst Board of Education is taking the building the Mayor & Commissioners designed as an overbuilt $58 million Jr. High School and making it Lyndhurst’s Middle School; all so they can cut back costs by $4.7 million in their over budget “plan” to fix the other schools

Now, that is a “disaster


Vote for a Change

This Tuesday, November 5 for Board of Education


Vote for

Elaine Stella


Vote for

Anthony Dell ‘Aquila


5 recommended
2 notes
bookmark icon

2 thoughts on “VOTE TUESDAY: Lyndhurst still waiting for action after 2016 referendum OK for a School Plan the state called a “disaster”

    Write a comment...

    Your email address will not be published.